Monday, September 30, 2013

How to Deal With Being Lost

I know I haven't posted in awhile. to be honest, I haven't really had time. It takes a lot of work to blow your savings, move across state, and look for a job. 

Yes, I moved to Cincinnati in June for a "fresh start." Got myself a temp job with a huge nonprofit foundation. I thought it'd get my foot in the door to my career. Instead I'm stuck with a month to go, no job prospects, living paycheck to paycheck, and in a small apartment with a nonexistent kitchen and a power hungry landlord, who is probably going to try to evict me (because I didn't go inside after curfew) as soon as I pay rent tomorrow.

The real question to this post is how long can you go before you're a failure? 

It's been almost 10 months since I've graduated university. I've been to interview after interview and haven't gotten any jobs. Not a bite, not even a nibble. I've been to two interviews in which someone has looked at my application and asked me what on earth my alma mater is, I had one even laugh. 

So where do we go from here?

The Christian-type would tell me to pray and it will all work out. He or she might even give me a bible verse or an inspirational quote. The scientist-type would tell me that the logical thing to do would be to get a small job that I want nothing to do with, then work my way up. The power-hungry would tell me to get any high paying job and tell me to stick with it. I'm none of those. 

I know the title of this is how to deal with being lost, but in all honesty, I don't even know how. I'm learning as I go. How do you know where to go when you're lost? There's not a map for life. We try to get by. We walk through life faking smiles and trying to support ourselves the best we can. When does it become too much?

No comments:

Post a Comment